Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Aesthetic Association

The other day I had the thought that we sometimes associate a separate aesthetic memory with the current aesthetic experience. My instance was walking down the street, listening to music from one of my favorite video games (Persona3FES), by one of my favorite Japanese composers (Shoji Meguro). I realized that the specific tacks were primarily of genres I never listen to, genres that I usually dislike. However, listening to the music and remembering its context in the game makes it a very enjoyable aesthetic experience for me (for those particular pieces). Thus my conclusion that the aesthetic experience of the music is enhanced by the positive aesthetic experience of having played the game with that background music. I believe that if I had heard the same tracks out of context, and did not know who the composer was, I would not enjoy it as much (or at all).

Does aesthetic memory play a role in present aesthetic judgments?

1 comment: